Sunday, July 18, 2021

****Eleven Sooty Dreams by Manuela Draeger

 

I am not a fan of dystopian novels (the author defines his work as post - exotic literature, which I'm not disputing; I am merely indicating how my brain processed this novel). Despite all the horrific novels I've read, this genre makes me feel an indefinable interior darkness that is difficult to comprehend. Nonetheless, I am intrigued by Draeger's  (pseudonym for Antoine Volodine) novel. It is interspersed with beautiful prose, creative folktales, horrific scenes and, dare I say, some very dark humor. His command of the written word is exquisitely complex and tormented. Volodine states that the meaning of post - exotic literature is found, “not in the book’s pages but in the dreams people will have after reading it”. I have little doubt Volodine will infiltrate my dreams for days to come.

The novel's hunting idée fixe:

"You are burning. I go to you. In this moment, we are with you. We are all moving toward you. We are exchanging our last breath. Your memory trickles from your eyes. My memories are yours."

No comments:

Post a Comment